Saturday, February 7, 2015

Update One: February.6.2015

What? Whatever happened to January?
Well that month never happened! Kinda....


The month of Januray was mostly depressing as I


I CAN"T BUY BOOKS


But that's all I really buy. I want the books. Give me the books


So, to get into the spirit I finished three books by the end of December,

The second and third books in the Call the Midwife trilogy by Jennifer Worth I finished on the twenty-eighth.  Shadows of the Workhouse had the most fulfilling stories, following the Boer War soldier Joe from his youth to the demolition of the Canada Buildings and his death in hospital and Peggy and Frank from their childhood, Frank's leaving the workhouse then paying for Peggy to get out as wellto Frank's death from cancer.
3925836

Shadows was probably the most upsetting of the three. Learning about these people and the conditions they had to live in how they coped. 

Farewell to the East End was nice continuation of the stories and lives and the Midwives and nuns of Nonnatus. It was the. Out satisfying of the trilogy as Worth completed everyone's stories. Bittersweet but lovely.  
A very worthy series, and most definitely worth re-reading and Keeping.

So I finished those two before the end of the year. It was nice. But it wasn't in January

So in January. Ha. Ok. I finished Anne of Avonlea, the second of seven in the Anne of Green Gables series. You know when you know what's gonna happen so you avoid reading it because if you don't read it the IT DOESN'T HAPPEN. So I finished that one and started the third one Anne of the Island.  

So February. Ooh, I've gotten to where the title makes sense. 

February has been slow but it's the the seventh so I've forgiven myself. Two nights ago I finished Mockingjay and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, then I re read most of The Hunger Games the same night. 

So (I believe I start every sentence like this and I just DON'T CARE) 
So. I have a problem with finding books, buying books then never finishing them. I accidentally found a really cute and good book about a gardener from Eastern Ontario. Now if you didn't know, I'm from Canada and (this is a huge secret and no you do not get to judge me) sometimes it's really hard to find good books by Canadian authors. I found the book by accident when I was looking for the movie of the same name (awesome movie by the way) so I borrowed the book, but didn't finish it. Then I found it on sale at the library for a quarter so I bought it and I still didn't finish it. But A New Leaf by Merilyn Simmonds is well written while both personal and far-reaching in its stories. She 
makes you welcome in her garden and in her life. So I restarted A New Leaf.  And hopefully the next time I update I can finally say that I finished it. Started 2009. Didn't take long at all. 

I also started How to Read and Why by Harold Bloom. Bloom is a really high brow literary critic, but I'm not holding that against him. Its a book for recommendations and that's how I'll take it; I already have little tags to mark authors to look for at the library.

So that's it for now. Ta-ta (Cause I'm British* and I can't write a normal damn write-off)

*I watch enough of the television, I fucking qualify



No comments:

Post a Comment